Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mixed Feelings About My Education

I was hoping to graduate in the spring of 2016. I was required to meet with an academic advisor on Tuesday. I found out that if I am able to get into all the right classes, I can actually graduate with a degree in communications (with a focus on journalism) next December. WHAT.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one had, regardless of what anyone else says, I am embarrassed to still be an undergraduate at the age of 25. It's the truth, and in that regard, I am ecstatic to be able to graduate soon. Laurel asked me how I felt about the degree I was getting, which is where the mixed feelings come in. My answer to her was "I will have my piece of paper that marks me as a 'normal,' productive member of society." People (read: FAMILY, both relation and in-law) will stop giving me a hard time about school.

The last two semesters have been pretty miserable for me; I have not enjoyed my classes at all. I am bored to tears by what I'm being taught in my communication classes. So why am I taking them when I'm more interested in sociology or psychology? Here's the thing: at this moment, I have very little interest in going to graduate school. A degree in sociology or psychology is essentially useless unless you go further than a bachelor's degree, so even if I'd enjoy the classes more, I'd have a basically useless degree. While communications classses bore me to death, I can get a job with just a bachelor's degree and I honestly think the jobs available with that degree would be enjoyable to me. I love to write.

I have to do an internship of some sort. Studio One is well-known, especially on the UND campus, and they are taking applications for the spring semester. While it's not my first choice as an internship, I have a friend who has worked at WDAZ for about two years; if I intern at Studio One and have my friend put in a good word, I could theoretically (and hopefully!) get a job there in the future.

What I really love to write is poetry, blogs, and short stories. The problem is, those fall into the "not very practical" career category. I really do love to write short stories, but I also read a lot, and I know my writing is not very good. I think I have promise, but my writing is missing details; I can't seem to finesse them in. I know I'll get better if I work at it, but it's still highly unlikely that I could make a career out of it.

My favorite, by far, is the blogging. I've been doing it for two years and it's SO cathartic. Again, not likely to be a career; I've been writing my health and fitness blog for almost two years now, and I'm pretty sure my only regular reader is Laurel. If I could bring myself to promote my blog, that'd be great. But I can't do it; I made a facebook page twice and twice I deleted them. For some reason, I'm just fine sharing my struggles with complete strangers, but the idea of my family and friends reading it makes me uncomfortable. Why? No freaking idea. It's not like they don't know about it. It's probably because I am completely, transparently, honest in those blog posts; probably more honest than I am in "real life." I started and continued the blog for me. I didn't start it with an audience in mind.

I think I've said this before, but Mari once asked me "If you weren't worried about money, what would you do? What do you enjoy?" I love working out and writing. That's what I would do with my time if I didn't have to work. The ironic part? Blogging is my favorite thing that I wish I could make a career. Blogging in no way, shape, or form (at least the blogs I write) needs a degree. Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment